Sunday, September 30, 2012

Danger Craft Night

What is this you ask? Posting two days in a row? That's right!

Actually I have a confession. Lately I've been trying to avoid watching TV, and avoid checking facebook and pinterest regularly. As a result I have spent more time reading and writing blogs. So yeah...Never underestimate the power of a busy person to find new ways to procrastinate. However I do feel better updating all of you about my life than looking through pictures of random crafts that I'll never try.

But this is an example of a random craft I thought I would never try. This weekend I had a few of the grad students from my department over to my apartment for an evening of snacks, pizza, and X-treme crafting. We decided to try and make drinking glasses out of empty wine bottles. In order to cut the bottles we got to do exciting things like light string on fire.

Here is our evening:

Pizza dough rising.

Homemade pizza is a good way to start off any event. And here's a tip: whenever you are letting dough rise, put it in the oven, the oven is very well insulated so the dough will usually rise fairly easily in there. Here's another tip: don't pre-heat the oven while one of your plastic bowls is still in there. Would I ever do something so stupid? Uh, maybe. I'll just say, that this is the last time that bowl looked like a bowl and not a piece of modern art. 

Crust that came out before the pre-heating debacle. And I was going to take a picture of the finished product, but I forgot, so enjoy looking at my empty pizza crust :)

Holly's dog Zoey in her Halloween costume.

Friends and some pre-pizza snacking

Now the moment you've been waiting for, the fire pictures! To do this procedure you dip cotton yarn in acetone nail polish remover, tie it around the wine bottle, light it on fire, then when the fire is about to go out, dunk it in ice water. The top pops right off. Probably a bad idea for someone who cannot pre-heat an oven without melting something, but it seemed like fun. 

Sam holding the flaming wine bottle, I assisted with the lighter.

Me with the flaming bottle! Wasn't it great that Sam brought safety goggles?

Close up of the bottle and flame.

Yes, I decided it was more important to look at the camera than the fire in my hand.

Pam putting on the precautionary safety glove.

Holly and Sarah, Holly always makes the best facial expressions.

I'll let you know what we all end up doing with our cut up wine bottles (might not be the best for drinking glasses). Maybe that will be another craft night. The evening ended safely with no injuries and no burning apartments. Success!





1 comment: