Monday, April 29, 2013

Family Visit: Robert is Here

This past weekend I was lucky enough to have a visit from my parents. They drove down from Maryland, spent a couple days in Disney, then had a weekend in south Florida seeing sights with David and I.

Friday afternoon when they arrived we stayed in and I made dinner; but Saturday was packed with lots of different events and sights.

The first place I decided we needed to visit was a fruit stand called Robert is Here. The fruit stand specializes in amazing milkshakes and smoothies made from special tropical fruits. At the stand you can buy all kinds of strange tropical fruits that are difficult to find elsewhere in the US. I need to keep going here year round because the special fruits keep changing with the season.

Mom and Dad enjoying fruit smoothies outside of Robert is Here

I live about an hour north of here, but sometimes I travel down this way for work. I need to make a point of stopping by every time I am in the area. 

Me standing next to a jackfruit tree

Supposedly Juicy Fruit gum has a flavor that was inspired by jackfruit. 

Dad: Being a good sport and posing for the 800th picture of the day. That is also a jackfruit, its hard to believe that the don't fall off the trees. 

So much honey!

There was even a honey tasting area off to the side. The store also has lots of fun different jams, jellies, and sauces. This is one of the places I think I need to take everyone who comes for a visit. I'll for sure be stopping by here a lot during my time in Florida. 

One more thing- we bought a special berry called Miracle Fruit at the stand. It makes sweet things taste sweeter and sour things taste sweet. The four of us did an experimental food tasting and we each ate a quarter of a lemon that tasted very sweet. The miracle fruit works! 




1 comment:

  1. We had so much jackfruit in the Philippines! It is called lanka there. We bought some canned this weekend at a Pinoy market, and had some people are our small group try it. I told them that they must get an extract for juicy fruit gum from it. So funny!

    ReplyDelete