Monday, December 16, 2013

My Latest Month of Reading

Linking up again with Modern Mrs. Darcy Twitterature to share my reads from mid-Nov to now.


Lady Almina and The Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle, Fiona J.M. Aitken
Really interesting! Loved learning about the culture of the time and getting a bit of a history lesson. Recommended for Downton fans, you'll come across some familiar names and events.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neil Gaiman
Not a huge fan of this one. While I appreciated the fantasy world that was created in such a short book, I felt like it had some of the strangeness of a fairy tale without lighter happy moments. 

The Maze Runner, James Dashner

The Scorch Trials, James Dashner

The Death Cure, James Dashner
Review of the series- Each book was like one giant action scene. The chapters were short but it was almost impossible to read one at a time. While I did enjoy these this series wasn't my favorite. The first two books are almost all action, while the last book was action with some more background information about what was actually going on. Definitely an entertaining read, but I could have done with more character development. The books are almost completely moved forward by dialogue, I would have liked a few more descriptive, thoughtful moments. These were young adult books, and I wouldn't recommend to kids until the older middle school age.  

Divergent, Veronica Roth
I began another post apocalypic young adult series. I really enjoyed this one. The author did a wonderful job painting a picture of a new society and creating memorable characters even if they were only in a few scenes. I'm working my way up on the library holds list, and I can't wait to read the rest of the series. 

40 Chances: Finding Hope in a Hungry World, Howard G. Buffet
Great book. Anyone wanting to learn more about agriculture should give this a read. Howard Buffet goes through 40 different stories about agriculture around the world. I pretty much agreed with everything he said and I was very interested in all of his stories. 

Million Little Ways, Emily Freeman
Book club pick for the month. Emily Freeman expounded upon the ways that we are God's art and talked about the ways we can live that out in our lives. Whether we are teachers, bakers, writers, we've all got an art to live out. I thought the book was a little repetitive by the end, but did have a good overall message. The writing style is very poetic. Biggest take home point for me would be: If you are living your life like you are God's artwork, how would this change the way you carry out both the mundane and exhilarating tasks of everyday life?

3 comments:

  1. I still haven't read the Divergent series. Thinking about making it a priority in 2014.

    And your review of the Gaiman book is really interesting. The darkness of a fairy tale, without the lighter moments? Sounds about right to me. I loved watching him weave his fantasy world, but it was so unrelentingly creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Divergent has been on my reading list for way too long. It's inexcusable that I haven't read it yet. :P

    Interesting to hear about The Maze Runner trilogy. I read the first one my freshman year, and it didn't hook me, so I gave up on the series. I might reread them at some point, but I haven't heard too much about them in terms of critical reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, read Divergent! It's a fun easy one you can do over break. My recommendation- don't be wanting it to be another Hunger Games. It didn't rank up that high for me, but I'd say go in appreciating it as it's own thing and you'll probably enjoy it. Kind of made me think of an action version of The Giver.

      Delete