Monday, April 22, 2013

Audio Books


I live about a mile away from a wonderful library, and I have been taking full advantage of it ever since I moved to Plantation. I stop by at least every week or two. The time I actually spend sitting down to read a book hasn't been excessive, but I do a ton of driving for work and I have learned to love audio-books for this reason. The audio books keep me entertained and it gives me a chance to listen to some books that I might not actually take the time to read. Here is what I have been listening to so far:

Blink- Ted Dekker. Fun fast paced story. Kept me entertained while driving to and from Gainesville. 

Home- Bill Bryson. This book had a lot of interesting information but was very dry. Probably not a book that I would have easily gotten through if I had actually been reading it. He described in detail just about everything you could think of in a home. The origin of kitchens, bedrooms, hallways and more. He also described the history of many things you find in rooms. A lot of what he said was really interesting but I honestly didn't retain much of the information. A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson is one of my favorite books, but other books by him just haven’t drawn me in quite so much.

10 Tips to Transform Your Marriage- (Or something like that, I don't remember the exact title). Since David and I are doing premarital counseling now I like reading/listening to anything about marriage.

Happier at Home (I’m not intentionally going with a "home" theme)- Gretchen Rubin. Loved this. The author is married and a mother of 2 in NYC. She made a school years’ worth of resolutions and focused on something different each month. Her idea behind this is that since we spend so much time at home and with family, we should try to make it the best/happiest/most comfortable place possible. I like setting different goals and making mini-projects for myself, and her book encouraged me to do more of that. She also wrote The Happiness Project which I have not read yet. I hear that they are very similar but I’ll probably read/listen to it sometime soon.

Grayson (Currently listening)- Lynne Cox. Story describing a girl’s encounter with a baby gray whale. Describes her experience as the baby whale started following her during a swim; to helping the lost whale find its mother again. Pretty short, only a couple hours to listen to but very detailed. And it’s a true story!

On Deck: My Life in France by Julia Child

Have you been reading or listening to anything good recently? I love new suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment