Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Gardening and more

 Here are a few snapshots of what I have been up to lately




This is me mulberry picking after a meeting. One of the many moments that makes me love my job.


David and I on top of a lighthouse on Key Biscayne, we had a day where we went to the beach with all the grad students and interns from his research station.


We were happily surprised that the day we visited Key Biscayne there were historical people and exhibits around.



This picture represents one of our most inventive moments of the day. We played Bocce Ball with coconuts and other round shell things we found on the beach. With the supplies we had we needed to use the coconut as what is traditionally the small ball. This almost ended in catastrophe when one of the guys nearly hurled the coconut into a couple that was peacefully tanning on the beach.


Here is a look at one of our garden beds!

David and I are currently learning the ins and outs of gardening in south Florida. (When I say "David and I" I really mean David, he does all the work). There are raised beds available for anyone's use at his research station. This winter to spring we are growing: green beans, zucchini, yellow squash, cheese pumpkins, hubbard squash, basil, cilantro, parsley, kohlrabi, 2 kinds of peppers, green beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, turnips, and flowers. 


Our turnips! I think they are such a pretty color.


Harvesting


The first yellow squash


Plants are cool.


Do you recognize these two beekeepers? David is now managing several of his own hives. 









1 comment: