Friday, May 17, 2013

For the Love of Tomatoes

I think that most gardeners/normal human beings agree that nothing is better than a tomato straight from the garden. Every time I have a summer tomato I wonder why I even bother buying them the rest of the year. Now that the tomato plants are fruiting its like Christmas.

Here is one of the ways I've eaten my tomatoes this week


I sliced up one of my giant heirlooms and topped it with a little low fat mozzarella (fresh would have been better buy I used what was on hand).  Then I put it in the oven at 350 for probably about 7 minutes and broiled the tomatoes for another two. This made the cheese pretty and golden! Finally I topped the cheesy tomatoes with basil from my balcony and a little balsamic vinegar. 

Since the tomatoes were roasted for a few minutes they were super sweet by the end. Melted cheese on anything never fails; try this take on a Caprese salad :)

2 comments: