Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Something a little different

Raise your hand if you love sweet potatoes.

My hand is definitely raised. Candied, baked, casserole, fries. I'll take 'em.

And sweet potatoes are so good for you. However, I did have the startling revelation that the ways I like to eat sweet potatoes aren't particularly health friendly. There is certainly nothing wring with the sweet potato covered in brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, and marshmallow, but if I want these guys in the regular meal-time rotation I need a slightly lighter way to eat it. Enter experiment.

I was in search of a sweet topping that would kind of have the same idea as the semi-dessert version of a sweet potato but with a bit less sugar and butter. My inspiration came from my grandmother's mini-cheesecake recipe. The little topping on the cheesecakes is a sour cream base.

So...
My mixture.

I mixed probably about 1/2 cup fat free sour cream, 1 tsp of cinnamon, a couple tablespoons of honey, and about 1 tsp of vanilla. This stuff made a pretty tasty topping. Maybe could have been a little bit sweeter, I am certainly not above throwing a splenda packet into something that just needs a bit more sweetness, but I just used this as is. 


I threw on about 2 big spoonfuls of the stuff and enjoyed my "light" baked sweet potato. 

My final review is that it's not as good as one soaked in butter and marshmallows. Because how do you beat that? But its a pretty good way to eat a sweet potato without some of the extra calories and fats. (The key is to use fat free sour cream, don't forget that detail). 

Have you discovered any good ways to occasionally lighten up a favorite recipe of yours?



No comments:

Post a Comment