Tuesday, August 13, 2013

This


Do you like this new device that David and I invented? What could it be used for? If you said swatting a bug from really far away then you are close. This is our new lizard removal device. Before I tell the story I should explain my previous experience with a lizard in my apartment. 

When I first moved to Texas it was the first place I lived where lizards in the home could be a potential concern. You'll see a lizard here and there in Maryland and Virginia, but its just not a regular thing. Its always exciting. So...when I moved in the apartment in TX my friend Emily was with me for a few days. To make a long story short we thought we saw a strange bug, we pursued the lead, found a lizard, freaked out, and sprayed about half a can of raid on it. We acted very scared and immature, and then there was a removal processed that involved using fly swatters as tongs and disposing of the body in a box of stale pralines. I just say this to illustrate the point that I am not good at dealing with home intruders of the critter nature. 

The other day I walked into my apartment to have a lizard staring at me when I opened the door. I decided this time I would be more mature. I took a big leap over the lizard while leaving the front door open (now I'm behind the lizard), and I just tapped my foot behind it a little and it ran right out the front door. Considering my previous incident this left me feeling very mature. 

Fast forward to this past Sunday evening. David was getting read to head back to Belle Glade and as we start moving towards the door there is a lizard on the wall, at which point I tell him, "You are NOT leaving until the lizard is gone." I suppose I could have asked for help in a nicer way. 

The lizard was in the far shadowy dark corner up high.

This not being the easiest place to remove a lizard we tried to get it down by throwing fly swatters and balled up grocery ads. That guy wasn't letting go so we (David) needed to poke it with more authority. Enter: broom-fly swatter device (we might market these for money on the side). With a jump and the lizard-removal-tool in hand David managed to knock the lizard down. It then tried to trick us by dropping it's tail (which oddly wiggled for a long time after), but David caught the intruder and released it outside. He is much more critter friendly than I. 

As David was heading out I asked him if he wanted to get married right then. That way I wouldn't have to live by myself with potentially unpleasant critters. He pointed out that the courthouse was closed so we just decided to stick with the original wedding date. I'll keep you posted on stories of my survival in the wilds of Florida. Married life can't come soon enough!


No comments:

Post a Comment