Friday, November 15, 2013

Twitterature

twitterature monthly reading linkup short reviews

Once again I'm  linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy, this time to share short reviews of books I've read in the last month and a half. Thanks Candice for encouraging me to do this! Lately Candice and I have been comparing every book we read to the type of food it would be, so I'll put in their food counterparts too.

What Alice Forgot: Moriarty, Liane 
What Alice Forgot Liane Moriarty
A story about changing relationships throughout life and how different we might become in one decade. The story was meaningful without being too heavy. Great for a fun read. Highly recommend. Read this with my cross country book club of college friends. 
If this book were a food: Lemon Meringue Pie

Side note about the book club- there are 8 of us who participate, we all went to church together in college. We have members in Washington, Oklahoma, Florida, North Carolina, and Virginia. Such a perfect way to keep in touch.


Southern story set in Georgia. Many colorful characters. Something that stuck out was the perfect food descriptions, I wanted to eat everything they described in any of the kitchen scenes. 
If this book were a food: Comfort food

Bread and Wine Shauna Niequist

I finally got on board and read this. The author shares life moments, and the meals that are associated with those times in life. Many recipes are included and I've already made the risotto which was amazing. The book read like a letter from a friend. 
If this book were a food: Duh, Bread and Wine

Gone Girl Gillian Flynn

Dark. The book became more disturbing the further I got into it. Wife goes missing, and we learn the story of her disappearance throughout the book. This one I got through in less than a week, certainly a page turner. I recommend this one for people who are looking for something that will bend their mind. Disclaimer: if you are turned off by foul language, this book isn't for you. 
If this book were a food: Black coffee that someone secretly added a shot of alcohol to. 

Are there any good books you have been reading lately that I should look into? If you have read any of these books, what did you think?

8 comments:

  1. What Alice Forgot looks really good! I need a few fun, light reads through the holidays. I liked Gone Girl, but I think I liked Gillian Flynn's Sharp Objects even more. It was also dark and disturbing, but I liked the characters so much more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look into Sharp Objects, but agreed about the holidays, I'll stick to lighter books for now.

      Delete
  2. These all look so good and I'm intrigued by the virtual book club. How do you "meet?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way. .. autocracy on my phone made it nearly impossible to type the captcha on here. Have you considered turning it off?

      Delete
    2. Oh goodness! I couldn't even type "autocorrect." I turned it off on my phone!

      Delete
    3. We "meet" via google hangouts, it's a lot of fun! Autocorrect...agreed, so frustrating, I think that was the first thing I got rid of when I stepped over into the world of smartphone. Don't know if there is a way I can fix it in the comments, but I can take a look :)

      Delete
  3. I loved What Alice Forgot and Bread and Wine. I didn't really like Gone Girl and am cracking up at the "black coffee with a shot." Sounds about right to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked Gone Girl, but it was very dark! I also loved Saving CeeCee Honeycutt :) Still waiting to get What Alice Forgot from the library.

    ReplyDelete