Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Book reviews for January

It's Twitterature time again on Modern Mrs. Darcy (quickly becoming my new favorite thing).

twitterature monthly reading linkup short reviews

Slim(er) pickings for this month:


Insurgent by Veronica Roth. 2nd book in Divergent trilogy. Quick. Fast paced. Didn't like quite as much as the first.

On our road trip up to Maryland and Virginia to stay with family for the Christmas David and I read Divergent (a re-read for me) aloud on the way north and Insurgent on the trip back down south. These books helped the road trip go by quickly. 


The Greatest Gift: Unwrapping the Full Love Story of Christmas, Ann Voskamp. We probably only ended up completing about half the days in this advent devotion. The writing was very poetic and probably would have made a better individual study. David and I found it tough to get a lot out of this one reading aloud. I'll probably pick this one up again a few Christmases from now and try it out as more of a personal devotion. 


The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays, Ree Drummond. This was a Christmas gift, I read it cover to cover. Funny stories, great step by step pictures, food that makes you drool...everything you have come to expect from the Pioneer Woman. I've already tried the Caesar salad, cheddar chive biscuits, and garlic rosemary roasted potatoes. Highly recommend. 

And a side note- I never really list my audio books, but I've been making my way through the Harry Potter series during exercise and work commutes. So that's fun. Earlier this month I finished up Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I've read this book somewhere between 10-15 times. No shame. Most of those readings probably happened in middle school. Seriously, I waited my entire middle school career for a new Harry Potter book so I pretty much memorized this one during that wait. 

Books in the works- Allegiant by Veronica Roth and Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. I'm making Gone with the Wind my "project". Other than finishing Allegiant and whatever the next book club book will be, Gone with the Wind is the reading plan. 

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to browse through the new Pioneer Woman cookbook! Because of our food allergies here, we can't make too many recipes as-is, but I still like to look. :)

    ReplyDelete