Friday, August 10, 2012

Good Food and Good Company

I LOVE visitors. Having family and friends come visit and explore Texas with me is one of the best things I could ask for. Going through travel books and the 5lbs of pamphlets I picked up at the Texas visitors center is always fun. (Actually, I think the exorbitant number of pamphlets is still sitting in my closet untouched…opps.) Since I have been in Texas I have had the chance visit Houston, Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio, Big Bend National Park, and several other places. Most of these excursions have been with my friends and family visiting from Maryland or Virgina; so in the midst of a week-long visit from Erik, Mom, and soon Emily I’m looking forward to the new adventures in store.

Right after I picked up Mom and Erik from the airport we went into downtown Austin to eat at the Texas Chili Parlor http://www.txchiliparlor.com/. For all you movie buffs and Quentin Tarantino fans out there (aka my brother Erik) this is where a scene in the movie Death Proof was filmed. You don’t have to twist my arm to get me to go to a dive with great atmosphere and tasty nachos, chili, and burgers (aka not-having-to-eat-again-for-a-week). 



I made Erik pose with the menu

Me outside Texas Chili Parlor

Family picture in front of the Texas State House. It's just a bit bigger than Maryland's :)

An account of this visit would not be complete without showing off the “air mattresses” we are using for beds. Only one of them popped open and deflated when I tried to lay on it. I just need to avoid a few more meals at Texas Chili Parlor and I bet I could sit on it with no popping. That will be my goal.

I call the one with all the cup holders!

Another day we stopped by the George Bush Library on the A&M campus. Much more entertaining than you would expect a presidential library to be, I recommend it to anyone visiting College Station. 


Erik in the Situation Room

They play solitaire in the Situation Room...wait, what?

Another family picture, in the Bush library http://bushlibrary.tamu.edu/

1 comment: