Friday, May 10, 2013

Farmers



Can you guess what this is?

This is one of the creations grown from our garden. Any guesses yet???

It's a cucumber. 

When David and I were doing our latest vegetable gathering we found our first cucumber. None of the others had been successful. And this one could hardly be called a success. This cucumber had some sort of disease which caused it to grow in this creative and entertaining shape. We planted a lot of different vegetables this season, which has led to many successes and failures. Bugs, disease, fungus, and many other factors have contributed to quite a large loss of our veggies. 

This cucumber in particular made me very thankful for farmers. I'm glad someone can make that perfect cucumber that we like to see in grocery stores, farmers markets, wherever. My bachelor's and master's degrees were about agriculture, my job is the Farm to School coordinator. Even with all of that I barely appreciate all of the work that goes into producing food. It's mind boggling to me that thousands of people are involved with the food I eat in one meal. Thank you farmers! And everyone in between. 


No comments:

Post a Comment