Tuesday, June 18, 2013

My Mini Book Reviews Part 1

Here is a peek at what I have been reading lately:

The Selection Kiera Cass- This is a young adult novel written by a woman who went to the same church as me at Virginia Tech. Pretty cool! It is kind of a combination of The Bachelor and The Hunger Games. I think its the kind of book middle school girls might enjoy, but definitely a fun read if you want something light and quick. I enjoyed this one more as the book went on.

The Prince Kiera Cass- A novella accompanying The Selection. The overall premise of these books is basically a prince selecting his future queen. This novella is a peek into the prince's point of view.

Lighting Dean Koontz- Another quick read. It was filled with mysteries that kept me turning pages to the end. This kind of reminded me of a Stephen King book, but still different. There were a few creepy characters that caused me to sleep with the light on for a night or two.

Love and War John and Stasi Eldredge- A marriage book I got from the library. After pre-marital counseling and reading other books, articles, anything about marriage it all starts to sound about the same. I did like this book better than Captivating (written by these two) which I read a couple years ago. My main problem with their books is that they generalize so much to all men and women. Like, every woman will feel a certain way or react a certain way about something. After I ignored their generalizations I started just reading it as their experiences have shown them that they react to things in a certain way. I wasn't blown away by this book, but it certainly contained some good nuggets of wisdom.

2 comments:

  1. I read Captivating not too long ago and felt the same way! I think they have another book (the title escapes me) that is also about marriage...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I remember being really opinionated against Captivating for a while, but I've toned down since it has been a while since I read it. Though both books I've read weren't without good moments and points that made me think.

      Delete