Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Yummy Scones

This recipe came from Melissa d'Arabian's cookbook $10 Dinners. No complaints about any of her recipes so far.

I could not find the exact recipe online but here is one that is pretty close. 

I'm still enjoying the cake stand!

One of the best parts of Melissa's book is all of the tips and cooking advice she offers. She has advice for shopping on a budget, good sale prices for items, and how to make your ingredients last longer. For several of her recipes Melissa gives examples of how to change up little aspects of the recipe to make it 10 different ways. 

For these scones I chose to mix in some white chocolate chips and shredded coconut I had on hand. But mix in whatever you want. They ended up quite tasty (and David approved). 

This recipe made 16 medium sized scones. My favorite tip that was offered in the cookbook was to freeze some of the pre-cut but uncooked scones. Since I live by myself, 16 scones isn't really necessary in my life. I baked half and had nice breakfasts and snacks throughout the week. The directions Melissa gave were to freeze the scones and just add 5 minutes to the baking time when you finish off the batch. When freezing these, put them in the freezer on a baking sheet and then once they have hardened you can just throw them in a ziploc bag together. When items freeze separately they won't freeze together in a huge clump. 

1 comment:

  1. That is great advice on how to freeze without sticking. That always happens to me!

    ReplyDelete